Sunday, December 10, 2006

A.R and Guru ...

...phew! Musically it has been a comeback time for Hindi music in my listening collection.

Guru:
It was the day I reached Rochester for T.G break that Ajay called to make me listen to "Jaage Hain" (Chitra and A.R) ... it was eerie listening to a 'dhun' that you immediately love, especially when it is so scratchy and almost inaudible over a mobile phone connection (unlike land line phones where it was quite close to being Tape quality sound). So, anyways ...Ajay is like "Mishra, you have to listen to this ...I think you will like it". I did.

Infact, the next 3 days I was entirely wrapped up in just this one song. I found the mp3 online and played it over and over again ...each time some suttle nuance in the song would amaze me some more and I'd miss it while listening to it. I know it sounds obssesive but that is how it is with me and things I love ...I have to 'drink' it to the full, enjoy it in every last cell in my being until I am satisfied with it. How can you not?! Especially when it is A.R good ....

Jaage Hain:
...this song, this new gem from him is so unique. I love it when he (A.r) sings because of the high notes he can hit; then add someone with a soft touch (i.e Chitra) and something as unique is a song as the Madras Choir and you have something like 'Jaage hain'. Wait! I missed Gulzaar. His lyrics are what really make the song soul stirring ....yes it is that good! Soul Stirring ...



I cannot even remember the number of times I have wanted to utter, "Jaage hain der tak humey, kuch der soney do ...thodi si raat aur hai subah to hone do". The fact that Gulzaar gets the emotions right is what makes this song special.

It really hits you when you hear A.R go sky high with "aadhey adhoorey khwab jo, poorey naa hooo sakey" ....oh man! I am getting goose bumps just imaging how it is sung!!! This is to be heard and not written ....

Here is Guru at MusicIndiaOnline.com
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movie_name.8846

Check out:
1. "Jaage hain"
2. "Ay Hairathe"
3. and then "Bin Tere"

Oh! I could write on and on about the other songs, including "Ay Hairathe" which is now my playing fav along with Bin Tere.... the introduction to the former is just mind blowing. I mean, it literally is mind blowing because I had a friend listen to it and we could not get the song out of our heads!

The first minute or so of the song will take you somewhere else ... just like Roja's songs did. There is a slight hum, the harmonica plays that haunting tune in a muted phase when on the next pass A.R turns it up with some beats to go with it ...and then chorus joins in with "dum tara dum tara jashn jashn" which is followed by more of that haunting harmonica dhun in the background....I just had to play it for myself once. It was that captivating.

Well, after fiddling on a keyboard for about 5 mins, I got the keys for the introlude and it sounded close to the song when played as "Soft Violin" ...aah! It is done!

So this is where I have been, lost in A.R's music for the past few weeks. Obsessed, transfixed, mesmerized, haunted and so happy!

"Dum tara dum tara jashn jashn ..."


Links:

No comments: