Wednesday, May 07, 2008


I was bored, the canvas was a mess (I had spray painted on a Tee with the canvas under it) ...and had glue (regular paper glue in a squeeze bottle) ...and lots of paper ...Natl Geographic with the glossy pages and some absorbant-newspaper stuff ...some stiff paper from the MTU Alumni mag etc. I tore pieces of paper into tiny bits and started "seeing" things the more I stuck them on the canvas ... then I would go a little crazy and drip RED from the Acrylic paint tube from a height ....I loved the sensation of the drops on the canvas ...the splat, the drip the run the swirl ...and the more I felt the more I saw and RED wanted something YELLOW by it and Yellow wanted something black by it and there were pictures of Trees or Martian Canals with shadows - I am not sure what but they were in Relief and added some "depth" and then there were faces ... I wanted "humanity" in this sea of abstract - recognizable features, eyes, tibetian eyes ...african american eyes and MTU Alumni magazine had a ton of these and then i found pictures of Queen elizabeth ...in Sepia - like in stamps and it was such a wonderful "tone" to have ...so i added that and sat back .......something did not seem right. I had colours but no features and so i burned candles over it for texture ...the dripping wax created hills and craters and unequal shadows and filled the center and surroundings ....it blended with the swirl of red paint that i had dripped in circular motion on the periphery and then i felt that the wax was too glossy and realized that of all the little patterns ...I loved the diagonal stripes .......so the page with the Great Ships it was. A Lime-Green picture of a sea creature made the swirling expanding strips in the center while the pale stripes of the page of the great ships (it was an ancient map) made the diagonal stripe behind it ....together they "sat over" the rest of the wax, red paint and other layers upon layers of glue, paper and glue and paper and glue .... ofcourse the first and last layer were glue. Stripes were never completely covered in glue, just tips so that they would be partially free ... but my fingers were completely covered with glue and it made working on this progressively harder. I realized in the frenzy I had forgotten to call India, cook for the boys coming to eat, shower, brush and had paint and glue on my carpet and had wiped my fingers over a t-shirt of mine ...It was not just relaxing ...but it "satisfied" a craving. I have 4 blank canvases from years before and I dare not paint on them because I could not get myself to "think" about what I wanted to paint. And yet when I did eventually jump into it ...the canvas satisfied a hunger that was nagging and obsessive. it did not end even after I said to myself "done" .... I took a picture of it and later obessed with the picture for sometime and found that over-exposure with high-fill-light and focal-bw effects just took it one notch higher! I think the end-product is not just the canvas but also Blow-ups of the edited image of the canvas ....

No comments: